PSC will be hosting an open forum for a discussion about healthcare this Wednesday at 7pm in Greg Hall room 111.
President Obama’s Affordable Care Act is up for review in the Supreme Court soon, so the meeting will focus on these questions:
- what do you think the role of public sector should be versus the private sector in supplying health care?
- what impact do you think the Supreme Court decision will have on the upcoming presidential election?
check out a good write-up of the situation.
next week we have two non-meeting events going:
- bowling night
- Krispy Kreme fundraiser on the Quad
look for a future post an email with the days and times for those.
Occupy Wall Street
Come Occupy Gregory Hall with the rest of the Political Science Club this Wednesday at 7pm in room 111 as we discuss the Occupy Wall street movement which began in September and has spurred similar protests across the country.
- What do you think is the main issue driving this movement/group of people?
- What do you think is the most actionable issue that they have presented?
- What do you think about the media response? How do you feel about the government/political response?
- How accurate do you feel the comparison is between the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street group?
barackobama has joined Tumblr:
It’s nice to meet you.
There are lots of reasons we’re excited to be launching the Obama 2012 campaign’s new Tumblr today. But mostly it’s because we’re looking at this as an opportunity to create something that’s not just ours, but yours, too.
We’d like this Tumblr to be a huge…
Announcement: Informatics Club Occupy Wall Street Meeting
Hi Political Science Club Members,
We have a message to pass along to you about a meeting on the same topic we’re going to address at our next meeting:
Topics in Technology - Occupy Wall Street
Tuesday, 10/25 - 6-7:30pm, Main Library 306 - contact: Brian Wilson
How have social networking, YouTube and cheap cameras changed protesting? What’s the role of technology in the Occupy Wall Street movement? Come discuss these and other questions about technology in an informal setting.
The Informatics Club meeting will focus more on the technology side then our PSC meeting will, but feel free to go to both meetings!
HIGHLIGHTS: PSC Israel/Palestine Meeting
We asked everyone who attended whose fault they think the lack of a resolution of the situation between Israel and Palestine was.
- an overwhelming majority said that the fault lies with BOTH Israel AND Palestine
- minorities voted for the other three options: USA/Europe, Israel only, Palestine (only)
PSC has a meeting on this topic every year. Usually it gets very heated because of the religious context. But it was very cordial this year.
PSC Israel/Palestine Meeting
Our next meeting is this Wednesday at 7pm in Gregory Hall room 111. There will be FREE PIZZA and refreshments.
- Will the establishment of a Palestinian state aid the peace process in the Middle East?
- How will the United States/United Nations facilitate the peace process?
hope to cya there!
PSC Exec Board
PSC Happy Hour Friday!
We’ll be having a Happy hour this Friday at 5pm at Murphy’s. Come hang out with your fellow Political Science Club members and the exec board!
2012 Presidential Elections meeting
we took a few polls during the meeting, and here are the results:
Which Republican would you pick if you had to pick a Republican?: Romney and Perry were in front of the field with Paul and Huntsman also gaining a few votes.
Do you think Obama deserves re-election? a small majority said Yes
What will be the biggest issue of the 2012 campaign? the overwhelming majority was jobs and the economy. Foreign policy and fiscal policy were also mentioned.
Highlights: PSC 9/11 Ten Years Later meeting
We had our last meeting 9/14/2011 and discussed American foreign policy post-9/11. Here are some highlights.
we took a poll on the question “Do you feel safer after 9/11?”
“We have to kill Obama, we have to kill Obama!” [a vocal typo regarding Osama Bin Laden]